Sunday, September 20, 2026

SEPTEMBER GRASS IS GREENER (September 20/122 or not)


SIGH So tough being MSU, Lions, Tigers fans. Well, maybe next year becomes an ongoing mantra. Last week, for MSU the defense didn't show up and this week it was the offense. Taking on the 3rd ranked team in the nation and holding their own until the 2nd half, then the defense holding and waiting for the offense to acknowledge the effort. The blue and silver almost blow a 21-point lead and then help the Bills inaugurate their new stadium with a pre-ordained loss. The tigers of course...continue to trade their best players. Hopefully, the mantra will change to this year. However, when expectations are low the ability to delight doesn't take much. 

Interesting week as we are trying to get the final pesky details finished on the remodels. Nothing like frantically fixing an electrical snafu when the electrical inspector shows up for the inspection. The good news-after installing two brand new GFI's we passed inspection. The bad news; the original snafu showed up again this morning-argghh. Still need installation of a grating and I can't find the little paint pens they gave us to cover a small strip of cabinet that did not get its color wash in the 2nd bathroom. 

PICK YOUR OUTRAGE From the myriads of disgusting incidents from mr. dementia this week, what kind of pathetic garbage threatens to destroy another man's (war hero and beloved president) memorial because they won't put his own name on it. Plus, now calling the obscene 250-foot arch blocking the view of the Lincoln Memorial and defacing Arlington National Cemetery a defensive installation to get around any challenge. He's going to put ammo, drones and snipers in it-OMG. Not like the Capitol of the USA is literally swarming with military and bases. Little tin soldiers crammed into the arch to leap into action at the moment of threat. A trojan horse so to speak-I'm dying here. 

OLD STORIES Rode over to Novi last week for a Safety Conference meeting where the appearance of normal road was constantly obscured by road construction. Well, that's one reason to welcome winter. We have two seasons as they say, winter and road construction. I rode with the current MSC president and paid by buying lunch (gas would have been more expensive-lol). He's an ex-MIOSHA construction enforcement supervisor so of course we critiqued the various road activities. Good thing we're both retired but those workers are living on a prayer. FUN FACT:  I used to work with his father, a former MIOSHA Construction Director. God I'm old.

 The Dad tried to help me when I was at the BWL when they hired "farmer brown barn builders" to build a storage shed (for TNT-I'm not lying) on one of our properties. They were, shall we say, not conversant with certain rules and I feared an accident - no the TNT wasn't in it yet. Anyway, Joe came out from MIOSHA and tried to "ed-gee-cate".  However, despite our efforts they did manage to knock the structure down and one guy suffered a broken leg. One really hates being right. 

After the BWL I continued to wreak havoc at the City within my first few months of course, because I'm a rule follower. First by interviewing/interrogating a company on their asbestos survey (unbeknownst to me a big supporter of the mayor). Secondly, accompanying a wage and hour rep on his survey of a construction site to determine if they were paying prevailing wage - a requisite of most government jobs. When I realized he was climbing up into an attic full of, wait for it, asbestos, I had some small concern as I told him to GET OUT NOW! When I explained the health evals, personal protective equipment, training and monitoring that needed to happen to mitigate his exposure some of his various gaskets were blown. He had his boss a well-known defender of the little people try to intimidate (never a good tactic with me). Not backing down, I countered with the City Attorney. I won. Actually, this dude and I ended up with a good working relationship, and he is a mover and shaker himself in a very public position these days. 

NEW STORIES This week I'll be doing a podcast interview on Emotional Intelligence (EI) with our current MSC Board Chairperson. Easy interview so we're just going to wing it. Putting the theory into action so to speak. Considering the different generations in the workplace understanding is sorely needed. The younger folk are into relationships and not "working 'til you drop" for a hearty handshake. Smarter than us oldies perhaps. Then I have 3 feelers out for the month of November so hopefully one will shake loose before my deadline. 

Took the grandson bowling last week ahead of his league start and the teenager is emerging. Our usually bubbling over buddy was more reserved and has cultivated that little curling lip they tend to get. Polite and respectful just not as social as we're used to. He's a bit judgmental these days too and asks hard questions. An interesting twist. So just going to enjoy each stage as it happens.

Our hummer (hummingbird) has been stoking up for his long trip south, perched on the feeder for long periods of time. I understand they put 30-40 percent of their body weight on before leaving so I'm thinking straight-through, no bathroom breaks. I keep thinking well, this is the last day but then he shows up right about dusk and dips his thin little straw deep into the fake plastic flower and goes comatose. 

Peace Out/Stay Strong/Love Your Neighbor/Eat More Cake/Drive Efficiently & Less/Salute a Vet/Respect Flannel/Don't Plasticize Your Life/Fish Be Where You Find "em 

                                                                                     


No comments: