Sunday, August 9, 2026

BLUES & GREENS (August 9/128 or not)


                                                                        

LAPTOP LAPSING OH NO -- Again I lament the loss of IT support as a boomer retiree. My main laptop kept going into sleep mode which should have triggered some mild concern. Only when I was down to 30% power with the beast plugged in did I realize my dilemma. "She not be a'chargin". OMG my life is on that thing. Save to the cloud? What does that mean? Download to something? Back-up to what? S-I-L says the fading laptop will fight and die before giving up your files which seems to be the case whenever the bad/good guys access the perp's laptop after he's bounced it off a 3-story building while in flames. Amazing. However, I do not have that level of expertise.

Quick text to the afore mentioned S-I-L to see if he has an extra cord that might work as we both have Lenovo/Legions. Geek Squad cannot get to me until 4 pm and you need at least 30% power and download everything before you bring it in. I am now at 20% as I kept dinking around with the cord and the previously mentioned download issue. Mr. Pessimist has declared the port is busted so my hopes of a quick fix are doomed. SideNote: being married to a doom and gloomer has its points. I always know the absolute worst that can happen and I am never surprised. Some may find that depressing, but I believe it is liberating not wasting all that time and mental anguish imagining "what if". 

At any rate, my son from another mother came over at lunchtime and sacrificed his own power cord in hopes that was the problem. Worked perfectly and I frantically powered 'er up to 100%. He also "amazoned" me to find a new cord, which, though I loathe bozo they were able to deliver the cord I needed within a couple of hours. Knowing it was his work laptop I made a point of delivering his cord back to him that night...and I was jonesing for a blizzard at Dairy Queen. Now many who order blizzards are treated to the spoon suspended in the treat and the cup presented upside down to show its frozen state. We were in line one time at DQ watching the show in the car ahead when the server got a big surprise as the treat cascaded out of the cup onto the ground and we laughed and laughed. Apparently, they have changed that practice as my "small" was delivered with a cap on it, dripping all over my hand. I had to eat it with a straw. Blizzards are going downhill these days....literally. 

DUMB AND DUMBER - Fun in DC this week as they hold Dr. Fauci in contempt as he was not willing to let Congress dump their failings on him by answering the set-up questions. Led by the dude who says he's a medical doctor based on certification he gave himself from a group that he and his wife created. Oddly enough when repugs were called to testify, they just refused. Dems need to start being bigger bastards when they finally, hopefully, get the com. Second and dumber, the brain-dead senate confirms marmie's lawyer as head of the DOJ. Like he hasn't already proven multiple times he is          1) incompetent; 2) working as the orange one's agent and 3) dishonest. Dumber still are the senators who fell into line. 

Some hope, at least in Michigan. Crazy Perry doesn't move forward in the governor's race, a lot of people in the UP are ok with an American with an odd name moving forward in the Senate race and on a personal level two of my nieces have done their part to make a difference in this country. One niece Theresa Sweet is the Sweet (Sweet vs Devos) who brought the class action suit against the US Dept of Ed for delaying and ignoring repayments to students exploited by predatory colleges; the largest settlement in history at great personal cost to herself. A second niece Abbie Groff Blaszak just won the democratic primary for State Senate in the 29th district in West Michigan. Fingers crossed.  

B-ROOM UPDATE Last Monday was a bit chaotic as the carpenter, house cleaners and the OH's golf partner all had plans to show up at 8 am. All managed their assorted tasks, and no one died. Next was the shower doors being installed. Dude and his son. The old man greets me and says, I thought humorously, "is it downstairs?" No. "Of course," he says. Then he dragged his broken body up the stairs to check the locale and measurements. His son, who actually looked older, seemed to move ok. I know how that doggie feels having my own hip issues though I'm not hauling big ass glass doors. 

But the big news. The counter was installed late Friday-major TA DA. My vision is coming together. I have tried to photograph it, but the richness of the green just does not come through as it does in person. The little streaks of gold will be picked up with plumbing and any accessories I'm picking out.

 Now onto the final plumbing, mirror, lights, fixing the hole over the cabinet, plaster some slashes, etc. etc. Also, to make it fun, we are starting on the other bathroom this week. As so many subs are coming to the house I just tell them to "follow the yellow-brick road". The first thing the contractor did was to plasticize (is that a word?). We have plastic running from the front door up the stairs across the hall and the bedroom right to the bathroom door. Everybody gets it and no one gets lost. But I will be so thrilled when I can walk anywhere without that squish squish squish sound and feeling. 

 Peace Out/Stay Strong/Love Your Neighbor/Eat More Cake/Drive Efficiently/Salute a Vet/Respect Flannel/Don't Plasticize Your Life

                                        

                                                                    

No comments: