Sunday, August 30, 2026

WHAT'S IN A NAME? (August 30/125 or not)

SHAME! The new mnemonic device for our magnifico' Great Lakes. Totally apt for our current "what stupid, meaningless thing should I do today" calendar. Considering the name of each lake is a derivative of first nation peoples who populated the area and named the lakes wayyy before America or Canada were nary a gleam in their founder's eye. Oniatari:io meaning "lake of shining waters" or more simply "beautiful lake" which certainly does not describe the U.S. right now. ๐Ÿ˜‚Which is another bone-y of contention. We are not America-we are the United States of America so calling anything, Gulf, Lake, Ocean American merely give homage to the entire set of countries west of Europe. Funny how that works. Another insult landing something south or north of its so-called target. Speaking of names, when marmie is talking about dems being, horror, communists, aren't his best buds communists (Russia, North Korea, China). Someone needs to 'splain these things in small words and easy sentences.

THEY'RE COMING! I am not a super movie buff. I have not sat through the Hobbit series or Star Wars or Fast & Furious or even Harry Potter. However, in movies I have seen where AI takes over mankind so it was pretty much a foregone conclusion, especially after seeing "I Robot", that mankind would eventually hoist their own petard through technology. So not terribly surprised that AI is running away from human control and the techies who created the monster are the ones warning us about it. As Skoobie Do was fond of saying, Ruh-oh. But at least I know one hero who will do their best to protect. All this build-up was to brag about my daughter as she starts a new position managing a team of system security, compliance and risk experts at the State of Michigan. The Wonder Woman cape is a given but optional. Now all she has to do is fight administration (read politicians) to support the inevitable crucial changes, and economics needed to protect us. Yes, piece of cake

PIVOT My hope with my monthly podcasts is that they sound spontaneous, off-the-cuff, nimble. But all that takes mucho prep-LOL. I usually pen my intro and closing before I even start the interview. The closing might change a bit, but since the whole thing is timed, I have to be able to control the narrative and general meandering to meet our 30–40-minute timeframe with no awkward (isn't there a city named that? oh yeah Auckland, NZ) um-um pauses wasting valuable time. Got to keep it clicking. Anybody watching the YouTube version can see me glancing at props out of sight of the camera. I recommend folks stick to the audio version. Did you know you can tell sight unseen if a person is smiling while they talk? It's kind of fascinating and I keep reminding myself if I'm not happy and excited about the topic neither will the listener. 

 Anyway, my interviewee decided to change my whole intro just before the interview. Yes, his version was more technical and explanatory, but my opening is more whimsical, trying to get you interested-in my own voice so to speak. No problem, I bow to your impressive resume and the ease of interviewing you. Then he kind of swayed into the answers to the questions before I asked them as we both knew the script, right? So, talk about the ability to be nimble as I rephrased things and said, "you mentioned, bla bla bla" and kept us on track. I was rewarded with him telling me I was a very good host with the ability to keep things on track. You think? But I took the compliment as I know he gets interviewed a lot. I try to emulate my favorite virtual interview mentor Stephen Colbert, who was excellent in getting his subjects to relax and spill except I try not to be the main voice you hear. On occasion Stephen got excited and cut them off sometimes making me say-stop, I want to hear their answer to that. So, I guess you can say I learned from his mistakes as well. But if I think of something that makes them say "that's a good question" meaning they hadn't thought of it that way, I'm happy.   "I'm so vain" which is my go-to song on the few occasions I have done karaoke-far away from home of course. I keep telling JP we need to do a karaoke sometime. But I digress. Anyway, another poddie in the can. 

BATH TIME The OH told the contractor we should put him on our Christmas card list as we've seen him more for the past 2 1/2 months than anyone else we know. 2nd bathroom was rolling along but we have a new floor to lay and painting before we can set the immortal throne and finish the rest of the plumbing. There are a couple of issues left on the "completed" bath and a missing part that we ordered and paid for. Although the part really isn't needed (robe hook) we paid $21 for it with a 30% restocking fee so that golden sucker is going to hang somewhere. Now I'm happily searching for green/gold accoutrements for the countertop. Did I mention that the mirror is so humongous that I don't even need to use the little close-up mirror attached to the door to be able to see every pore and eyelash when I put makeup on? Consequently, the mirror works, but like the warning in your rearview "objects probably are much bigger in real life". Looks so perfect and reasonably sized in the showroom set up exclusively for the best display. But I definitely achieved the spa experience except for cleaning those #@#$$ glass doors. Picture shown is reasonable facsimile of completed green room.

                                                                            


Per usual: Peace Out/Stay Strong/Love Your Neighbor/Eat More Cake/Drive Efficiently/Salute a Vet/Respect Flannel/Don't Plasticize Your Life/Fish be Where You Find 'Em ๐Ÿ’š  ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

No comments: